Saturday, February 18, 2012

How do the Ten Commandments fit into your life?....

I have some problems with the commandment to honor your father and mother. My father left my mom and us three children when I was two or three years old. He never attended our high school or college graduations or the important events in our lives. Growing up my mother was my hero, however, now she is getting to be a master of the guilt trip. She would like nothing better than for me to move in with her in California. IMO, California is a modern day Sodom. Much as I honor her as my mother I’m honest enough to admit that she drains my life of joy. Thankfully I have Abba Father who will be with me while in California. I try to use the commandments as a guide to living while failing most every day. Thank you Jesus for washing my sins in your blood!

Jesus charged his disciples and the Church with “The Great Commission:” Matthew 28: 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Jesus also added; John 13:34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”
Book of Galatians: Here the apostle Paul was under attack by the Judaizes who were encouraging the Christians to be circumcised and return to the Law. This would marginalize the taking on of our sins by Jesus on the cross. God would not look at Christ as he hung on the cross covered with our sins and Jesus cried out, “God, why have you forsaken me?” Believers are saved by grace and are not under the Law. Through Jesus we have a standard of righteousness and The Holy Spirit as that inner voice. Unbelievers will be judged by the Law as they are not cover by the blood of Christ. Try as the unbeliever may, good works and trying to adhere to the Law will not bring them salvation.
Commandment #3, “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain” is not about swearing, however, we should never so abuse the name of God. The Word of God never returns empty. If we said something “In the name of God” or swear “By the name of God”, we better know what we are asking for.
Believers were on their knees praying when the Ten Commandments were being attacked. Believer or not a believer, the Ten Commandments are a valuable guide to living. Many people don’t want to question their life-style and try to destroy the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment