Monday, February 27, 2012

Re: DQ#7. What is the central message of the Biblical Text and how is that being attacked today?

Full disclosure and a little tongue-in-cheek, I played around the edges of the New Age/ New Thought movements about 20 years ago. I even sold crystals and tried to keep a straight face as buyers would pass their hands over the crystals waiting for the right “vibes.” I could never take the new age very seriously; however, I joined a “New Thought” church where about anything short of crystals goes. Nights I studied at their seminary for two years and was ordained as a ministry. My record with weddings wasn’t so good. The only marriage that I officiated at outside of prison ended in divorce. Perhaps since the other husbands were in prison, no time to argue with their wives.
I got firmly back on the right path that I started on as a little kid. I belonged to Jesus from a very early age and thankfully, he never let go of my hand.
The time I spent on the edge of the New Age/ New Thought movements taught me to be very discerning and very aware of how very seductive they can be. I now have Bible believing friends that I think are getting caught up in what I would call circling the new age drain. I was asked if I’d like to attend the leader’s seminar. NO! Been there, done that. These friends are very Bible centered so I pray they well take the good and ignore the throwing of balls of light and the gold teeth.
BTW, I’ve long felt a call to establish a prison ministry, perhaps someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment