Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why was the Law created? How does the Law affect your daily life?BIB 536-5-2

The law was required as the first human beings on planet Earth committed the sin of disobedience in short order. Sometime later the first murder was committed with Cain arrogantly asking God “Am I my brother’s keeper?” Some of the angelic sons of God mingled with humans and created a race of hybrids. Noah was a righteous man who along with his family was spared from drowning in the flood. His son Ham saw his father’s naked body. It is not known exactly what Ham did to his father, however, it resulted in Canaan being cursed As an aside, centuries later not uncovering (viewing his naked body?) kin was codified in Leviticus 18:6 “None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the Lord.”
The Earth was repopulated by Noah and his sons and daughter-in-law. It didn’t take long before the first dictator of the world, Nimrod, founded sinful Babylon and defied God by trying “to reach the heavens.” There are so many other cases of sin gone wild in the history of mankind that there was definitely a need for the law.
The original 10 Commandments are an excellent guide to live by. In my opinion, these Commandments are reasonable and for the most part I believe I can usually live in accordance with them. Most part and usually are the key words; it is impossible for me to keep the law. Add to this, as a Christian, I should remember that the third commandment applies to me and that I should strive to be a worthy ambassador for Christ.
I have to admit that the law does not keep me from expressing my sinful nature all too often. I would be condemned were it not for the fact that two thousand years ago God stepped out of eternity to become a man and suffered and died for our (my) sins. Ephesians 2:8, “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:”
Clearly the law reminds me daily of my sinful nature and guides me to act appropriately. However, the human in me over-rides the law so often that I thank God for the gift of his son; that “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment