Sunday, November 11, 2012

Since we know that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, what armor do we have against deception? What part do you believe "reason" plays in this? I604-01-7


One of the most interesting books that I have read that deals with great deception was written by a committed atheist, Ayn Rand. Ms. Rand was the author of “Atlas Shrugged”, a book published October 10, 1957 that is very prophetic of today. I first read Atlas Shrugged decades ago and have read it a number of times since.

One reason I bring up a book written by an atheist is that over the years I have argued with people about this book. Instead of having a reason based discussion about Ms. Rand’s political philosophy and support of capitalism, her distractors would bring up the fact that she was rumored to be an admirer of William Edward Hickman, a convicted murderer. Even in the 2012 election a reach too far was this comment,Mark Ames: Paul Ryan's Guru Ayn Rand Worshipped a Serial Killer Who Kidnapped and Dismembered Little Girls.” It is my theoty that had Ayn Rand been exposed to the KI hink tank she likely would have changed her outlook on Christianity.

From my Facebook post the night of the election:

This week I started another class through the online Koinonia Institute (KI), titled "Analytical Thinking". KI is a Christian think tank that is very helpful in my goal to be a better Christian apologist. Tonight I was watching the election returns with one eye on the TV and one eye on a book I'm reading for the analytical thinking course. I learned a new phrase; ad hominem. From the book "Discerning Truth by Jason Lisle:

"Ad Hominem: The phrase ad hominem is Latin and means “to the man.” The fallacy is so named because it directs an argument against the person making a claim rather than the claim itself. The critic hopes that people will reject his opponent’s claim simply on the basis that there is something objectionable about the person making the claim."

Reading this was like having a light switched on in my brain; in my opinion, the phrase Ad Hominem speaks for itself. Governor Romney was unfairly demonized as being a rich white man out of touch with the average person. At a time when our country is facing high unemployment, horrific debt and an exploding Middle East the red herring was the war on women; code for unfettered abortion. Ad Hominem, it worked on Governor Romney just as it did on Ayn Rand.
In America we voted in an administration that supports same-sex marriage, abortion on demand and throwing Israel under the bus. As I said before, we really hit the trifecta this time.
In my opinion, we are to witness for Jesus and pray, pray, pray. We are to be watchman on the wall and “Put on the whole armour of God." We are very fortunate to have KI where we can learn to be the best Christian apologists possible. We have the tools to hold our own in discussions with the minions of the enemy and stay on topic.

Added later:

Hi Lois, I too had decided long ago who I would vote for in the election. I'm still in having a hard time understanding why Obama was reelected. Some of the talking heads have said that the Republican party needs to be more engaged with minorities. I seem to remember one Governor who implemented workfare rather than welfare. Rather than a handout, give people a hand up and then before long they're supporting themselves and their families. Now it looks like this is old-fashioned thinking. Personal responsibility seems to be falling by the wayside.
In watching the videos I was taken by the quotation "For every unconfessed double standard there is a solid single standard behind it." This certainly was the case with the vast majority of the media. Well, Obama is in for another four years so what we can do is pray to God for the best outcome. In the final analysis it's in His hands not Obama's.

No comments:

Post a Comment