Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Pope's Red Shoes 547-2-23-8

A Catholic friend called early this morning to tell us that the Pope was departing the Vatican. Originally I planned to write on DQ#2 concerning eschatology and the ignorance of it by most in the Christian community and certainly, IMO, within the Catholic Church. While I'm not particularly interested in Catholic affairs, I respect Pope Benedict's intellect. That said and full disclosure, I can have a very convoluted sense a humor at times and see patterns were perhaps none exist.
As is often my breakfast habit, I was working on a Word Search puzzle and half-way listening to the bloviating about the pope’s departure. I heard a comment about his red shoes. I was not aware that the Pope wore red shoes as one of the symbols of his office. Now that Benedict will no longer be Pope he has to relinquish his red shoes.
 
Interestingly enough, one word hidden in the word puzzle was “lamb” so I thought of the comparison between the Lamb of God and the regalia of the Pope. Rather than special red shoes and royal vestment, Jesus walked about in a pair of sandals and homespun. Rather than wearing red shoes, Jesus didn't consider himself above washing the feet of his disciples; a wonderful lesson for all.
So where else were red shoes of such importance? The Wizard of Oz came to mind. Like me, most of you have probably watched the Wizard of Oz any number of times. After Dorothy's house was flung by a tornado into Oz crushing an evil witch, Dorothy was presented with said witch's red shoes.
I started to make a mental inventory of the primary cast of characters in the story. There was sweet innocent Dorothy who was just trying to get back to Kansas. There was a scarecrow looking for a brain. There was the immobilized tin man looking for a heart. It was amazing how much a few drops of oil enabled him to move his joints. Even I can't stretch this far enough to compare the oil can to the sprinkling of holy water. Completing the trio of Dorothy's new friends was the lion looking for courage.
What does all of this have in common with the Catholic Church? Perhaps Dorothy could be compared to the millions of Catholics hoping to go home/ heaven and placing their reliance on church clergy. Accepting the gift of salvation through Jesus to me would be as simple as Dorothy clicking her red shoes together. Given the history of the Catholic Church, popes such as Innocence the third could certainly have used a heart as did the tin man. Like the lion in the Wizard of Oz, there is certainly no comparison between the Catholic Church and the coming Lion of Judah. As for the scarecrow wanting a brain, I would again compare this to those who don't seem to be able to think for themselves.
So much more I could add, the Prophecy of the last pope...

No comments:

Post a Comment