Monday, October 14, 2013

Where do I go from here? I605 6 - 8

Another year has passed me by and it's my birthday, always a time for reflection. Today I turned 72, an age sometimes marginalized by younger generations or, as others would say,”70 is the new 40.” All though I’ve lived pass the younger Biblical age of three score and ten [KJV], every day brings more opportunities and challenges.

Given the current and rapid descent into immorality, I’m sometimes tempted to once again drop off the power grid. However, I’m convicted that I’m still expected to bring unbelievers into the kingdom.

So “where do I go from here? The Issachar Tract provides a through grounding in written endeavors. In addition to all the opportunities KI offers to publish, my goal is to combine concise writing skills with the ability to deliver them in a public forum. In my opinion developing oral skills and using these via public speaking would be a complement to what I’m learning here.
The Issachar Tract reminded of my years as a member of Toastmasters. I dropped out of Toastmasters more than 15 years ago but now I really see value in getting involved once again. Many of the Christians that I know tend to reinforce each other rather than going out and spreading the word. That's not to take away from the churches who support the mission field, however, what of more direct individual involvement?

So I surfed the Internet looking for a Toastmasters club reasonably close to my Quartzsite, Arizona home. The nearest clubs are held at a correction facility and are closed clubs. A few telephone conversations resulted in my acquiring information for starting a Toastmasters group right here and Quartzsite, Arizona.

There are many unknowns respecting starting a charter Toastmasters club; finding enough year-round residents interested in joining to start a club, raising the thousand dollars required to get started and then to find a meeting location. One real advantage here in this little town is that we have seven evangelical churches. Also we have a rather active Chamber of Commerce as well as a Rotary Club. I have no assurance of any interest in a Toastmaster club much less success. As one who likes a challenge, I’m in the process of developing a plan of action to form a club starting with discussing it with the pastor the local AOG Church.
A little back-ground on Toastmasters:

"The purpose of Toastmasters is to help members overcome apprehensions about speaking in public and to improve communication skills. This goal is accomplished by providing a self-paced, focused speaking program and a supportive, experienced group of people to assist you." (Toastmasters)

A typical Toastmaster meeting is divided into four segments: a business portion, Table Topics, prepared speeches and evaluations. 4. Evaluations by club members provide feedback to both prepared speakers and meeting leaders. The evaluator usually is a more experienced club member who gives an oral evaluation and provides written comments to each speaker.
As with QARP I found being a Toastmaster evaluator to be most challenging. The part of the meeting I most enjoyed was Table Topics which involved giving a two minute extemporaneous talk. A helpful skill for an aspiring Christian Apologist,

Works Cited

[KJV] Psalm 90:10, “The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.”

Toastmasters International Publications and District websites. Sandra Amelino, DTM,  New Club Extension Chair 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment