Tuesday, November 26, 2013

What actually happens during "Communion"? Do you feel it? 532-1 - 6- 5

Holy Communion is just that Holy Communion with our Lord Jesus, a time to reflect on how blessed we are. The breaking of bread is symbolic of the breaking of the body of Jesus both as He was beaten nearly to death and as He hung on the cross. The wine or grape juice is symbolic of the blood that Jesus shed both during His beating and while on the cross. As members of his Church, we are covered by his blood. We have been justified by the “Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world.”

Several years ago I attended a church in Bullhead City, Arizona. Holy Communion was celebrated but in my opinion in a very unworthy manner. First the wafers were passed out while people stood around talking’s. As soon as an individual had his or her wafer it was immediately swallowed. The same with the grape juice. No pausing to remember Jesus’s broken body and shed blood.

The pastor of the church I’ve attended quotes from l Corinthians. Not only is this a very sacred celebration, a warning is given by the pastor to not take part in Holy Communion in an unworthy manner.

l Corinthians, “23For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.” 25In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 27So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.”

When I celebrate Holy Communion I will hold the wafer/ grape juice in both hands and say a prayer of gratitude over it as the wafer/ grape juice is distributed to the whole congregation. I do not take the celebration lightly as it is a reminder of the free gift of grace Jesus provided by His horrific suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment