Monday, November 25, 2013

Why is it so important that we remember His glorious works? Share some of His glorious works in your life with your classmates. 512 - 4 - 7

Why is it important that we remember His glorious works? To me this is almost a moot question as how could I not witness to His glorious work? When I walk in the desert or drive in the Arizona Mountains there are miles of God's handiwork laid out before me. Here in the desert the stars appear to be so near that one could reach out and touch them. It is said so well in Job chapter 9.
We serve an awesome God who is jealous of his creation. Paul tells us in Romans 1:20, “For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:” A few verses later Paul shares the consequences for a society that worships the created and not the Creator, “26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.” With same-sex marriage and the homosexual agenda of promoting the homosexual lifestyle as normal It certainly seems that God’s judgment is being realized.

My life seems to go best when I'm at arms’ distance from the confusion of today's world. Due to family needs, I spent nearly 18 months in Southern California where it seems like people live on top of each other. For me it was nearly impossible to appreciate God's glorious work in such a concentration of humanity.

In the early 1980s I was living across the bay from San Francisco and would often spend my summer weekends camping in the Sierras. After a stressful week at work to be able to withdraw into the womb of creation was very uplifting. During one of these weekends in the Sierras I was able to witness to hundreds of thousands via the Today Show on NBC. There was a classical music festival held for several weekends in Bear Valley, California. The Today crew recorded three hours of interviews and music which they distilled down to a four-minute segment. Since it seemed that I was the only tent camper attending the festival I was chosen to be interviewed. During a very short interview I was asked if the Sierras were an appropriate place for a concert. I can still remember looking at the man interviewing me like he had two heads and said something like “What better place, this is God's Cathedral. Full disclosure, now I’m years past sleeping on the ground in a tent and much prefer a comfortable bed in my van.

For now I love to kick back and admire the His glorious works as manifested in the stars which are shown to great advantage here in Arizona.
Psalm 19:1, “The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork,” is a favorite of mine.
Also, Job chapter 9 says it so well. Just a few representative verses:
7 Which commandeth the sun, and it riseth not; and sealeth up the stars.
8 Which alone spreadeth out the heavens, and treadeth upon the waves of the sea.
9 Which maketh Arcturus, Orion, and Pleiades, and the chambers of the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment