Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Why was David prevented from building the Temple? What did he do in response? 512 - 6 -1

King David considered the incongruity of his magnificent home while God/ the Ark of the Covenant resided in a tent. King David shared his thoughts about building a temple with the prophet Nathan who initially thought it was a good idea. God told Nathan that David was not to build the Temple, rather his son would. David had been a man of war. In reading second 2 Samuel 7 it appears that rather than wanting a house for Himself, God wanted to establish the Davidic dynasty.

2 Samuel 7, “5 Go and tell my servant David, Thus saith the Lord, Shalt thou build me an house for me to dwell in? 6 Whereas I have not dwelt in any house since the time that I brought up the children of Israel out of Egypt, even to this day, but have walked in a tent and in a tabernacle. 7 In all the places wherein I have walked with all the children of Israel spake I a word with any of the tribes of Israel, whom I commanded to feed my people Israel, saying, Why build ye not me an house of cedar?

Samuel 7, “12And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. 14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men: 15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee. 16 And thine house and thy kingdom shall be established for ever before thee: thy throne shall be established for ever.
David’s son Solomon was to build the Temple. David accepted the Lord’s direction and proceeded to procure materials for magnificent temple.1 Chronicles 22 details the great preparation that David undertook.

No comments:

Post a Comment