Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Compare the Shepherd Psalms (22, 23, & 24). What does the Holy Spirit say to you about these? 532-1 - 10 - 4

Perhaps it was the Holy Spirit that woke me yesterday with an epiphany that the subject Psalms could be analogous of Jesus from the foundation of time through eternity.

Most would agree that Psalm 22 reads like it was dictated by Jesus from the very cross. Here Jesus is the suffering Messiah who stepped out of eternity to incarnate as a mere human being and to take on the sins of the world. He was and is both fully man and fully divine. It is through the suffering Messiah, also known as the Lamb of God, that we are justified. It is a gift of grace through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross. All we have to do for our salvation is accept that gift. Strange as it seems, many people will not accept the free gift of justification.

Psalm 23 starts with “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want” and ends with “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” Jesus left so that the comforter could come. To me this is the shepherd that is taking us through the church age which is quickly drawing to a close. We who have been justified by the blood of the suffering Messiah now move on to the stage of being a follower and imitator of Christ as we continue our work in progress of moving towards sanctification.

Psalm 24 stats with “The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.” Here we have the glorified Messiah. This brings to mind the coming Rapture. Could this be a preview of our manifestation of glorification as we pass into in the presence of our beloved Savior? The Psalm ends with “Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.” This Lord of glory is also the Lord mighty in battle. Could be reminiscent of the Second Coming of Christ when he will come as the conquering Messiah conquering with His two edge sword of the word.

Psalm 22: justification

Psalm 23: sanctification

Psalm 24: glorification

Added later:

I keep looking up because I know our redemption draws near. I like the kiss approach, keep it short and simple. That is just what Paul did in his explanation of the gospel:

1 Corinthians 15:2-4

King James Version (KJV)
2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Of course when one really digs into the subject Psalms, there is so much more that can be gleaned from them than justification, sanctification and glorification. I find that very often my thinking is outside the box something that thankfully these KI classes seem to encourage.

No comments:

Post a Comment