Monday, December 2, 2013

What bondage(s) are you subject to? How are you handling them? 532-1 - 8 -7

I'm still somewhat in bondage to modern conveniences such as electricity, heat and certainly to electronic gizmos. I'm officially living off the power grid on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land in southern Arizona. I had planned to rely on solar to supply my electrical needs. To this end I had purchased two new deep cycle coach batteries while I was still living on the power grid. Unfortunately, it seems that my RV was close enough to a lightning strike that my solar panel was badly damaged.

To keep all my little electronic gizmos going I have 100 W portable generator that feeds an independent sealed battery inside the RV. This plus an inverter keeps my computers charged. I also have a little 15 W solar panel which I used to recharge my NowBible/MP3 player each day.

I'm waiting to find out what kind of a settlement I'll get from my insurance company before replacing the solar panel. Also I plan to invest in a second panel as I hadn't taken into consideration how few hours of sunshine we actually get in the winter even in southern Arizona. With my dysfunctional solar panel it seems that I'm in bondage to gasoline to run my generator to charge my deep cycle coach batteries until I get the solar situation resolved.

So how do I handle the indifference of the solar company in getting back to my insurance company and the seemingly stalling by the insurance company itself? I drive through the Bureau of Land Management where some people are living in tents. Whether their lack is due to addiction problems or just plain misfortune, I realize how blessed I am by comparison as I place my reliance on God. The churches of Quartzsite help the homeless that flock here during the winter. There are places such as Isaiah 58 Project to get a hot meal and recycled clothing. http://www.isaiah58project.info/

As an aside, the BLM is interesting as there are people living in RVs that cost a few hundred thousand dollars, others like myself in modest RVs as well as people living in tents.
Spending time last this summer on my off the power grid northeastern Arizona property and these last few weeks have been a real lesson on breaking the bondage to modern conveniences. Presently to save my batteries I use my furnace only with the generator running. A brick placed over a low burner with proper ventilation serves as an alternative heat source.

One of my BAC friends wrote on my Facebook wall that less is more. I couldn't agree more with him. Despite some annoyances and inconveniences, I am breaking the bondage of relying exclusively on material things. Once my solar situation is rectified I should no longer need to rely on the generator; rather on the free gift of the sun from the Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment