Tuesday, January 27, 2015

My sharing the Gospel often arouses hostility. 540 - 1 - 3

In my opinion I have an interesting family background. Relatives on both my mother’s and father’s side consider themselves to be Christians.
My mom's family farmed several miles out of town. My maternal grandmother was raised Catholic but apparently was not conflicted about joining the Lutheran faith of my grandfather. My grandfather died when I was three so I don’t remember him other than my mother saying that he often read the Bible. Growing up I remember that every Good Friday my grandmother insisted that we kids sat quietly for two hours in observance of the crucifixion. I know that when the time comes I will be reunited with my mother and her parents, all Godly people.
I’m far less assured of being reunited with many on my father’s side. While my grandmother came from a Quaker background she became a devout Christian Scientist. I’m not sure of my paternal grandfather’s religious affiliation but he was a Mason and served as Grand Master of his Lodge. My parents were divorced when as quite young and I spend very little time with my father. Decades later as my father was dying a neighbor who was a born-again pastor tried to spend time with him. Both his sister, my aunt, and my father refused the pastor entrance. Much is I loved my father and aunt, I’m very concerned for their eternal destination.
 Last year we held an open house for my mother’s 102nd birthday. One of my paternal cousins, looked right at me and said I’m a Christian Scientist and we don’t believe in hell. She then looked at my sister-in-law, a lifelong Catholic, and said and there’s no such place as purgatory. While I agree with her concerning purgatory, her attitude was very hostile. Whenever I was around her younger sister I always felt that I had to be very careful to make no reference to Christianity or I risked incurring her hostility as well.
My mother recently passed and as she was my main connection to them, I don’t really expect to have much to do with my father’s side of the family. They continue to be my friends on Facebook so perhaps once in a while they read my postings often dealing with Jesus.
I’m very fortunate in the winter as I’m surrounded by BAC friends. Not so in my summer home. I was taken back when a very good friend of mine told me that I lived in the past since I studied the Bible. I provided her with information considering the relevancy of the Bible and try to be an example to her. Add to that I have several Mormon friends who give lip service to Jesus. A potentially great mission field.
I maintain a blog that has gained a rather limited readership throughout the planet. If I can bring a few readers into the kingdom and they can bring others into the kingdom I guess you could say it’s praying it forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment