Friday, May 22, 2015

. Comparing and contrasting the life of Judas with the life of Peter after both failed Jesus 533-1 - 1 - 6

Peter knew that Jesus was the long sought Messiah while Judas was looking for a King David to overthrow the Roman authority. Some think by betraying Jesus Judas was trying to force him into declaring Himself while others think it was just sheer greed.

Both men failed Jesus, however, Peter repented and was forgiven. Shortly before His ascension to heaven Jesus shared breakfast with the disciples. Jesus allowed Peter to overcome his fall from grace. John 21:17, “He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he ‘sknowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.”

Was Jude is ever a true follower of Jesus and then an apostate? Would Judas have been better off if he had never known Jesus? By knowing Jesus and being part of His ministry would Judas be held to a higher stander? Had Judas crossed a line in the sand from which he could not retreat? Hebrews 6:4-6, “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.”

Judas sold Jesus for 30 pieces of silver and later tried to return the silver to the temple. The “blood money” was used to buy a potter’s field; fulfilling prophecy with amazing accuracy.  Zachariah11:12-13, “And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my price; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my price thirty pieces of silver. And the LORD said unto me, Cast it unto the potter: a goodly price that I was prised at of them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them to the potter in the house of the LORD.”

From Peter we learn that our human nature and the will to survive can cause us to fall from grace. The really good news is that repentance brings forgiveness. After the resurrection, and the later filling of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, Peter became a much convicted apostle capable of performing miracles; even Peter’s shadow could heal. Unlike the televangelists of today, the early apostles had little in the way of material things and traveled by foot. The passage I like so well is from Acts 3:6, “Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.”

No comments:

Post a Comment