Friday, January 22, 2016

The ISV as compared to the KJV, 519-1 - 9 - 4

Currently my preference is for the King James Version of the Bible as it is like a comfortable old friend. There is something very special about reading the words of the Lord when He says “Verily, verily I say unto thee.” Also, it is my understanding that any deficiencies in the KJV are well known.
Full disclosure, I’m electronic geek. I had my first electronic Bible a decade or so ago. My first one was the Franklin and I pretty much worn out three Franklin electronic Bibles before I moved on to cell phone. I use e-sword on my old iPhone, which incidentally, I no longer use as a phone. I use Touch Bible with my android phone, Galaxy Note 4. Both Touch Bible and e-sword directly link to Strong. Not only that, I can do a quick look up far faster than flipping through the pages of a hard copy Bible. Now that’s the good news. The bad news is so far the only electronic Bible that I have found with quick links to strong numbers is the King James Version of the Bible. So once more it’s the KJV for me the majority of the time.
As for the ISV, The Uniqueness of the ISV as quoted from The ISV Foundation Committee on Translation (2011-05-01). The Holy Bible: International Standard Version (Kindle Location 159). Davidson Press, LLC. Kindle Edition.
“1. The ISV is a New Translation, Not a Revision The ISV is a totally new work translated directly from the original languages of Scripture and derived from no other English translation.
2. The ISV is a Computer-Friendly Translation YES!
3. The ISV is Sensitive to Poetic Forms in the Original Text. The ISV treats subtle nuances of the original texts with special care.
4. The ISV is Sensitive to Literary Forms in the Original Text The ISV treats synoptic parallels with special sensitivity.
5. The ISV is Sensitive to Conservative, Modern Textual Scholarship The ISV includes the latest scholarly analysis of the Dead Sea Scrolls
6. The ISV is a Literal-Idiomatic Translation
The goal of an idiomatic translation is to achieve the closest natural equivalent in modern language to match the ideas of the original text.”
Kindle format ISV has footnotes embedded in the text and can be read by clicking on them. e.g. Deuteronomy 34:5, "So Moses, the servant of the LORD, died there in the land of Moab, just as the LORD had said. 6"
6 34: 5 Lit. Moab, according to the word of the LORD Click 6 to return to the passage.
My favorite online site is Biblegateway. Here the ISV also has footnotes embedded in the text.
The use of heading in the ISV is helpful, e.g. Ester Chapter 2:
The King Searches for a New Queen
Esther’s Background
Esther Becomes Queen
Mordecai Thwarts a Plot to Kill Ahasuerus
Daniel 12:4, “But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.” [KJV] Knowledge shall be increased, I think most certainly in these end days. We are indeed fortunate to have so many resources available to us, a God thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment