Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The cross of Christ satisfy both the love and justice of God 510-2 - 14 - 5

"What, after all, is the meaning of the Cross about which we speak? Why should Christians “cling to the old rugged cross” as the old hymn reminds us to do? Surely, we might think we have outgrown such sentimentality. But it is exactly here that Christianity stands or falls; it is the meaning of the Cross that gives Christianity power. The Cross is nothing less than the self-substitution of God for us. Because God chose to forgive sinful humans, He could only do so righteously; in the words of Charles E. Cranfield, He chose “to direct against his own very self in the person of his Son the full weight of that righteous wrath which they deserved.” 1 God the Son paid the penalty for our sins to God the Father; thus “salvation is of the Lord.”
[Lutzer, Erwin W. Hitler's Cross: How the Cross Was Used to Promote the Nazi Agenda]
While we in Western World don't put our children through the fire, yearly hundreds of thousands of the unborn are sacrificed on the altar of choice usually for the sake of convenience. Quite fitting is this excerpt from the above book by Erwin W. Lutzer. "Nazi Germany teaches us that it is possible for an action to be legal and yet be immoral." Abortion is legal according to man’s law but an abhorrence to God.
Genesis 3:15, “And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.” God had foreknowledge that man would fall so He had a solution. Satan would be the author of evil but Jesus would ultimately destroy him.
Genesis 3:21, “Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.” God provided coats of skins for Adam and Eve but at the cost of blood.
It has often been said that Psalm 22 could have been dictated from the foot of the cross. Psalm 22:1, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?”
Matthew 27:46, “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Mark confirms this in Mark 15:34. God could not look upon His son as Jesus represented all the sin that ever was or ever would be.
Psalm 22:7-8, “7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, 8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.” No deliverance from the cross for Jesus except the deliverance of death.
John 18:37, “Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
Jesus was and is our propitiation so we can stand before a righteous God. By His sacrifice on the cross Jesus assured us of salvation, nevertheless, we must accept it and place our complete faith, trust and life in Jesus.
John 16:28, “I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.” Jesus is with the Father preparing a place for his Church. Come quickly Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment