Friday, November 3, 2017

1 John 1:9 vs the Name it and claim it televangelists 515-1 - 10 - 6

1 John 1:8-9, “8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
Mark 8:34, “And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”
This call to the people to “deny himself, and take up his cross” is not a great marketing tool. However, it keeps us on the narrow path that leads to life. Matthew 7:14, “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.” Sadly, there are the money oriented “Name it and Claim it” prosperity televangelists leading people down the wide path that leads to destruction.
Joel Osteen pastors the Lakewood Church mega-church in Houston, Texas which seats over 30,000 congregants. Estimated millions watch him on television and he has written several best-selling books. Joel has a problem with the word sin and is, in my opinion, a motivational speaker. This is counter to 1 John 1:10, “If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.”
The church in Laodicea is comparable to these mega-churches of today that preach the gospel of name it and claim it to members of the “me” generation. It is a lukewarm church, neither hot nor cold. Jesus said, “I will vomit you out of My mouth.” I’ve shared this video before, however, it is still relevant:
“Demons Work - Live In Church!” is a montage of televangelist hustle:
There are televangelists such as Dr. David Jeremiah who hold to the Word of God.  In his book I Never Thought I'd See the Day: Culture at the Crossroads. He writes "It never occurred to me that the Bible could be marginalized and even vilified publicly as it is today."
As a born-again Christian I’m an ambassador for Christ and it is incumbent on me to share the Word. Paul tells us in 2 Timothy 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” The lesson here is once more to stay focused on the Word as the absolute authority, Sola scriptura.

No comments:

Post a Comment