Saturday, January 13, 2018

Psalm 103, mercy and redemption 515-2 - 18 - 3

Psalm 103:1, “Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.” 
Although I pray throughout the day as well as speaking audibly to God, I have a bad habit of forgetting to give thanks for the food I eat. When I catch myself, I smile and remember what CM said about Psalm 193:1 and say thanks.
Psalm 103:2, “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:”
Psalm 103:2 is a call to praise God by David, however, there is an increasing and vocal ingratitude for His creation by unbelievers. The populace is “reaping the whirlwind” of Romans Chapter 1.
Psalm 103:4, “Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;”
Mercy is not getting what we deserve through our fallen nature. Jesus was/ is our propitiation, the gift of redeeming grace.
Psalm 103:8-9, “8 The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. 9 He will not always chide: neither will he keep his anger for ever.”
Here is good news, bad news. God is merciful but eventually His anger will build to a final judgment. In my opinion, the United States has received many “smaller” judgments/ shakings as a wake-up call to revival.
Psalm 103:12, “As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.”
How very comforting it is to know that by grace we are justified before our righteous God. I asked for forgiveness for past sins and then I had trouble remembering them. Now I have the Holy Spirit guiding me.
Psalm 103:16, “For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.”
Although perhaps a bit of a stretch, this verse reminded me of the conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus. John 3:6, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit” harkens back to the redeeming grace of Psalm 103:4 above. John 3:8, “The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.”
Psalm 103 ends with “Bless the LORD, all his works in all places of his dominion: bless the LORD, O my soul.” We are very blessed to be in His dominion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment