Saturday, February 3, 2018

Pride 515-2 - 21 - 3

Proverbs 6:16-19, “16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud (H7311) look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.” 
H7311, proud, to rise, rise up, be high, be lofty, be exalted, to exalt oneself, magnify oneself, to be rotten, be wormy
[Brown-Driver-Briggs]
A proud look is first on God’s hate list; because of pride Satan sought to rise above God. Lucifer fell from heaven and took a third of the angels with him.
Even King David was not without the sin of pride. God had ordered a census taken when Israeli was in the wilderness. Later King David had a census taken without direction from God; his pride in taking a census was not without consequences for his people. The census suggested that King David was relying more on military capabilities than on God’s power. Not only was David taking pride in the numbers, he was trusting numbers instead of trusting God.
After the census was finished, King David was convicted of his sin and he cried out to God for forgiveness. God sent the prophet Gad to him, offering any one of three punishments. King David selected the third, three days of pestilence or plague.
Through his pride King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon spent seven years as a wild beast. Daniel 4:30-31, “30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? 31 While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.”
I’m just a lowly sinner but I share the sin of pride with kings. Now that sounds like pride. A few years ago, I was attending Sunday Evening church service. These evening services can be rather informal with some give and take. Pastor asked, “What sin does God hate the most?” I proudly said “Pride” but pastor didn’t hear me. Pastor asked again, “What sin God does hate the most?” This time several of us said “Pride” and Pastor looked at another member of the congregation and said, “That’s right.” My first impulse was to say that I was the first to answer correctly. Oops, pride once again raising its ugly head.
Pride often takes the form of my having to prove my point, to win arguments. Too often I’m judgmental and critical of others. I resist being prideful but even that sounds like a prideful statement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment