Monday, March 26, 2018

Hold that wagging tongue! 543 - 5 - 6

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never break me” is a response to an insult, an equivalency to "You might be able to hurt me by physical force but not by insults.” Sadly, there are school-age children where insults (bulling) is so extreme that they commit suicide. In today's electronic environment there is Cyberbullying; the Internet is an extension of the tongue. According to the American Association of Suicidology, AAS Suicide rates among 10 to 14-year-olds have grown more than 50 percent over the last three decades.
James 3:5-6, “5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! 6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.”
This seems to fit with Proverbs 26:21, “As coals are to burning coals, and wood to fire; so is a contentious man to kindle strife.” When responding to someone on Facebook I work at controlling my tongue as well as my fingers, an extension of my tongue. Using children in an agenda to disparage the Second Amendment is a hot topic and both sides are well dug in. It takes two to argue to be “Coals to burning coals” so sometimes it's better to let someone just argue by himself.
James 1:19, "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:" and again in James 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue (G1100), but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain." And yet again in James 3:8, "But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison."
 G1100, tongue, Of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): - tongue.
Through his severe trials David knew the potential destructiveness of the tongue and was determined not to rebel or complain against the Lord around unbelievers and be an obstacle to them coming to faith.
Psalm 39:1-2, “1 I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue (H3956): I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me. 2 I was dumb with silence, I held my peace, even from good; and my sorrow was stirred.”
Tongue, H3956, skipping eating and licking, to wag the tongue, that is, to calumniate (make false and defamatory statements about); accuse, slander.
Proverbs 6:16, “These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him,” included is a lying tongue. “A lying tongue,” one only needs to check the media. Isaiah 5:20, “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!”

No comments:

Post a Comment