Saturday, March 3, 2018

James 1:19, very good advice 543 - 2 - 5

James 1:19 “Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear (G191) slow to speak (G2980), slow to wrath: (G3709)”
Hear, G191, to hear, give an audience, be reported, understand.
For several years, I sold mineral specimens as well as jewelry at markets. One of the things I really enjoyed was children who had an interest in stones. I would spend time going over the various stones with them and most were interested enough to listen. Then there were those children who would ask one question and while I was answering their question would ask another question.
A few years ago, I heard a talk by a former Mormon who has recorded DVDs on how best to witness to Mormons. He mentioned that in college he had a course on listening. To me, really listening and processing what is being said will likely result in critical analysis. Also, it shows respect for what someone else has to say.
Speak, G2980, to talk, to utter words, preach, say, tell, to “lay” forth, that is, relate (in words, usually of systematic or set discourse.
I just had a flashback of my maternal grandmother saying, “Children are to be seen not heard.” She often took care of us kids while my mother worked and could be strict. The older I get the more I appreciate the values this farm woman instilled in me.
 I have a good friend who rarely listens and whatever I might say she will somehow make it about herself. She is usually transmitting rather than receiving. 
I have another very good friend who teaches the two weekly Bible studies I attend. She is a great listener and has helped me work through difficult Bible verses. My goal, to be more like the second friend.
Wrath, G3709, violent passion, ire, or abhorrence, by implication punishment, anger, indignation, vengeance.
Merriam-Webster defines wrath as:
1: strong vengeful anger or indignation
2: retributory punishment for an offense or a crime: divine chastisement
Definitions 1 and 2 sounds like wrath in the flesh except for “divine chastisement”
Google further defines retributory, “of or relating to or having the nature of retribution; "retributive justice demands an eye for an eye" relatiative, retaliatory, retributive, vindicatory. punitive, punitory - inflicting punishment; punitive justice"; punitive damages".
In the next verse James states, “For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.”
Although I have known what I would call righteous anger, I strive never to be wrathful. I leave the wrath to our righteous God.
 Isaiah 61:2, “To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;” 
Isaiah 63:4, “For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.”
Romans 12:19, “Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.”
It is my sincere prayer to be out of here before God's day of wrath. Meanwhile, I'll do my best to conform to James 1:19.

No comments:

Post a Comment