Sunday, March 4, 2012

In which of the 7 churches (Revelation 2 & 3) are you living? What exhortation do you need to heed? What commendation has Christ given you?

The Seven churches of the Book of Revelation reflect a time-line of the churches. The first three are pretty much in the past. Of the remaining four I sure would not want to be counted as in any except the Philadelphia Church. As for the Thyatira Church, it is entwined with “that woman Jezebel” and thought by many as representing the Catholic Church in the Last Days. I have family members and several friends who are Catholic so I talk about salvation by grace when any will listen. Jesus did it all and yet I’m told that we have to spend time in Purgatory to be purified enough to be presentable to God. Also, praying for those in Purgatory is thought to help reduce time they spent there. Filling out/ buying Mass cards also help get people out of Purgatory. Then there are the ornate robes, incense, icons and more. At least I think the sale of Indulgences has stopped. In my opinion, the Catholic Church is a money generating organization that promotes works instead of salvation by grace. Rather than getting deeply into the Bible the priest recites and the people answer, all very canned. Here the exhortation to heed is to remember Jesus said, “It is finished.” And then too there is the statement by Jesus that we come to the Father only through Jesus, not through Many, not through the saints and not through the priest. I'm concerned for the salvation of the above mentioned family and friends.

In my opinion, many churches today would be considered as typical of the Church of Laodicea, the Apostate Church. I was brought up in a protestant church where the minister would have a lesson taken from Bible verses, nothing that set my hair on fire. However, I did learn many Bible verses during the few times I attended a Baptist church with my grade school friend.
When I’m home in Arizona I attend a Bible based Baptist church. Our church sends out missionaries and does lots locally to bring more people into the kingdom. I would label the church as close to the Philadelphia Church. I’m also attend a local Assembly of God Church, again, when I'm in Arizona. What I like best is a small Bible study group that meets regularity and really studies the Word in depth. I’m currently like a fish out of water as through family responsibilities I’m living in California for the foreseeable future. Once my mom can be left alone more I’ll check out the local Calvary Church as well as a nearby Baptist church. I prefer to be with like-minded people who take the Bible as the inspired Word of God.
Jesus stepped out of eternity to become a man who was born a Jew and died a Jew. Matthew 25:36, “ I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” Here Jesus confirms Geneses 12:3, we will be judged by how we treated His people Israel.
In John 13:34 we read, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”
Then there is “The Great Commission.” Matthew 28:16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
So we are to witness and work to bring more into the Kingdom.


No comments:

Post a Comment