Thursday, July 26, 2012

What is the "Third Commandment" about? In what ways have you been a positive representative of Christ? BIB547-1 - 03 DQ#4.

Exodus 20:7 “Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.”
Before I started my studies at KI I naïvely thought the third commandment had to do with swearing. Now I realize that taking the Lord’s name in vain has to do with being a poor ambassador for God. Many of the churches of today have deviated from the simple message of Jesus as well as being tolerant of immorality. David H. Grisham expressed it this way: They (the churches) have conformed the Word of God to the culture rather than conform the culture to the Word of God. They “have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof”.
Prayer was removed from schools in the 60s and most Christians just let it happen. The Supreme Court legalized the taking of the innocent lives of the unborn. Some denominations are ordaining homosexuals and promoting same sex marriage. An interesting statistic is that thirty-seven percent of women obtaining abortions identify as Protestant and 28% as Catholic. Abortion Statistics from 2011 posted on “Christian Forums.
Satan has successfully whispered into many ears, “Did God really say that?” As a result many no longer believe in the God of the Bible and call the Bible a book of fables.
There is increased effort to force Israel to give up part of their God given land to their enemies, enemies who have sworn to annihilate them. It seems there is no concern for obeying God’s word in Genesis 12:3, “And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.” In my opinion, we in the United States are under judgment as evidenced by extreme weather and out-of-control violence. The horrific hurricane Katrina seems to have coincided closely with the removal of Israelis from the Gaza Strip. Did our leaders listen to God then or do they now? Where are God’s ambassadors?
So what have I done to walk the talk? I do my best to honor God and lead a moral life. I advocate for Israel at any opening and give financial support. I remind people that God meant what he said in Genesis 12:3. I talk about the simple message of justification by faith recorded by Paul concerning Jesus, “For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:” 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV. I continue in-depth study of God’s word to be a better Christian apologist. I’ve risked friendships by being rather outspoken about my beliefs. And I pray for more coming into the kingdom while there is still time.

No comments:

Post a Comment