Monday, October 14, 2013

Pick an area of interest that you would like to become an expert on. Describe the area of interest and what steps you would need to take to become an expert in this area. Are there any new skills you would need to learn? I605 2 - 5

An area of interest that I would like to be more expert in is countering the influence of the New Age today. 20 plus years ago I was part of a charter group of friends and coworkers who met every Friday night to discuss/ learn something in the area of the New Age. For a few years our classes were led by a published author who has written books both on crystals and dream interpretation. All this may sound a little bit far out for one belonging to a Christian Think Tank, however, our group was rather well grounded. What belonging to this group did for me was to provide me with discernment concerning how attractive and persuasive the New Age can be and to spot its influence today.

A few years ago I was attending a “dinner and a movie” get together where we would share a meal and watch a DVD having to do with Christianity. One night a member I just met announced that she was a prophet and showed a DVD, “The Finger of God.” I watched as balls of energy were being thrown and people falling down and the claim was made of golden teeth appearing as well as a glowing white angelic being (Lucifer is an angel of light). My New Age discernment went into overdrive. I was taken back more than 20 years to when I was dating to a man who was a Sai Baba devotee. My impression of the “Finger of God” was that it was a re-play of Sai Baba and his manifestation of gold dust and golden teeth in people’s mouth.

Sai Baba has a website with the stated goal, “This site is presented and offered to Lotus Feet of Sri Sai Baba, may it serve its purpose, be informative and helpful to mankind. O Sai Baba, may your blessings be with all of us. O Sai Baba, our Guru, we surrender to you and seek your guidance in all walks of life. O Sai Baba, may you and we be one.

Several years ago a few friends were watching the “revival” at Lakewood Florida night after night. In my opinion, just more recycled New Age.

My concern is that today many Christians are being pulled into what are, in my opinion, false beliefs by the siren of the New Age. I sometimes attend a local Pentecostal church with friends. The Finger of God DVD was brought up by the pastor so the subject is alive and well. Add to that a cousin is getting very much into eastern religion. I have good friends who often attend seminars presented by Patricia King. Ms. King was shown in a YouTube video as the Holy Spirit supposedly descended upon her. All I saw was her squirming around a lot in her chair and acting rather strange.

New Agers are very taken with ET and evolving to the next and higher dimension. Back in the day I realized that based on the limits of classical physics these being were bleed through from another dimension. Now I believe that I was very close to the truth with the exception that these are demonic beings, not ET. So this leads me to another favorite subject, transhumanism, a discussion for another day.

While I have the discernment to spot New Age enticements I need to be more able to ascertain that I am correct in my discernment and also that I have a gentle way of discussing this with friends and family. I have already nearly lost friends over criticizing Ms. King. Interestingly enough one of my New Age friends from 20 years ago and I are friends on Facebook and she often “likes” my postings so you just never know.

“Finger of God or More Word-Faith Deception?” Posted  by Mike Spaulding in Signs of the Times            15MondayFeb 2010

Our little group started to disintegrate when one woman came in and announced that she was a white witch. The final demise of the class was when another woman from a 12 Step program started to monopolize the meeting

 

No comments:

Post a Comment