Saturday, January 31, 2015

When I as a Christian starts being “careful” in serving the Lord, the power goes out of my message 540 - 2 - 2

Proverbs 27:17, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend."
John 6:61, “When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?” to me, this is an example of iron sharpening iron. Many of Jesus’s followers turned away from Him by interpreting John 6:51-54 as being pagan. By being careful, these former followers forfeited “the true Bread” and “The atoning blood of Christ.”
With thanks to e-sword summarized Bible:
“Conclusion: Jesus Christ, the true Bread, is that to the soul which bread is to the body, nourishing and supporting the spiritual life. Our bodies could live better without food than our souls without Christ. Those who have received this Bread are to be the distributors of it to other hungry souls.”
Although I know I should be more outspoken with family and friends who follow the false doctrine of the Catholic Church concerning transubstantiation I usually compromise by saying something to the effect that when Jesus said from the cross “It is finished” it was finished. I should be more explicit by saying that we come to the Lord’s Table in remembrance; Luke 22:19-20, “19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.”
The disciples spent three and a half years in the presence of the living Jesus and still they failed to grasp that he was to be the suffering Messiah. After the crucifixion they were in fear of their lives. After the resurrection they became fearless and after Pentecost were fully indwelt by the Holy Spirit. All but John were martyred in fulfilling the great commission. As a very old man John had the great honor and privilege of witnessing Jesus in his true glory, the Alpha and the Omega.
Then there was Saul/ Paul. After witnessing the glory of the risen Jesus on the road to Damascus Paul brought the gospel to the Gentiles throughout the known world. These were men who were bigger than life and displayed great courage through beatings, stoning’s and martyrdom. I wish that I had it in me to better emulate the courage of these early followers of Jesus.
I've often criticized Christians for keeping within the confines their/ my little BAC group(s). More than once I've asked if we have forgotten the great hymn, Onward Christian Soldiers; “Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war, With the cross of Jesus going on before.” While I don’t back down from those mocking the Word, I do most of my witnessing through the impersonal Internet. So I tend to take the careful method of sharing the gospel by blogging and posting on Facebook and pray that my reaching out connects.

No comments:

Post a Comment