Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Psalm 3, God has a shield about believers 515-1 - 2 - 1

Psalm 3 is a Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son. His own son was campaigning against him and indeed, wanted his father dead. Like a 21th Century politician Absalom had promise King David’s subjects that things would be better under his rule.  King David fled his kingdom.
Psalm 3:1, “Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.“ Here King David is in dark despair.
Psalm 3:2, “Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God.” David seems concerned that his sin has removed him far from any help from God. Then David pauses, has a Selah moment, and perhaps remembers the Unconditional Davidic Covenant.  God promised David and Israel that the Messiah would come through the lineage of David and the tribe of Judah. The Messiah would establish His eternal kingdom. God did not/ does not place any conditions of obedience upon the fulfillment The Davidic Covenant.
Psalm 3:3, “But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.”
“The mood of the Psalm changes in verse 3. David gets his eyes off his enemies and on the LORD, and that changes his whole outlook. Immediately he realizes that he has in Jehovah a shield, a source of glory, and the One who lifts up his head. As his shield, the Lord gives him complete protection from enemy assaults. As his glory, the Lord gives him honor, dignity and vindication in place of the shame, reproach and slander that were being heaped upon him. As the lifter of his head, the Lord encourages and exalts him.”
[Believer’s Bible Commentary]
I often play Praise and Worship/ Maranatha Music all night as I sleep. Many lyrics are taken from the Book of Psalms and a favorite is “A Shield About Me” based on Psalm 3:3. I’m reminded that God has a shield about me and if I need additional encouragement, there is the reminder in Ephesians 6:11 to, “Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” So, I’m doubly protected both by the shield God has around me and by the armour of God that is mine as a believer.
Psalm 3:6, “I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.” In these the last days we believers may find ourselves surrounded by the enemy’s minions but like David I sleep in the hollow of God’s hand.  

No comments:

Post a Comment