Saturday, January 20, 2018

Psalm 109, an imprecatory Psalm 515-2 - 19 - 2

Both Psalm 109 and 110 are Messianic psalms and Psalm 109 is an imprecatory Psalm beginning with, Psalm 109:1-2 “1 Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise; 2 For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.” And from there, growing anger.
Psalm 109:3, “They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause.” As an aside, compassed me is also in Psalm 22:12, “Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me.” Bashan, post flood land of the Rephaim whose king was Og. David was unjustly compassed by his enemies; a foretelling of Jesus being compassed by demonic forces while unjustly nailed to the cross.
Fast forward to the present, Isaiah 5:20, “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” The world seems to grow darker daily but still God stays His hand.
However, Psalm 109:5-6, “5 And they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love. 6 Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand.” There is tribulation in many parts of the world today, nevertheless we are not in the Tribulation; the wicked man will soon appear, the son of Satan, the Antichrist.
After this will be the Second Coming of Jesus, Revelation 19:15, “And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.” The sword, the Word of God.   
While reading Psalm 109 I recalled a skit from Saturday Night Live which I rarely watch as it has little redeeming value and, IMO, is too far left of center. Several years I was watching the Sean Hannity Show on FoxNews and Sean was very upset. Sean showed parts of the parody trailer, "DJesus Uncrossed" shown the night before on Saturday Night Live.
And I quote from the trailer, "The parody was a spoof mash-up of Quentin Tarantino movies, Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained." I realize that I often think way outside the box so I had to write about it: 
In the trailer the DJesus character is shown first rolling the rock from the tomb and saying, "Guess who's back." He then invades the Roman guard and with a sword and slays dozens. The moderator says, "He may be wearing sandals, but he can still kick a##." DJesus also kills many more with an assault rifle. Peter organizes the apostles into a Roman killing militia.
The trailer/spoof was extremely blasphemous, extremely violent and had very rough language and ends with the DJesus character saying, "No more Mr. nice Jesus."
Shades of Isaiah 61:2, “…, and the day of vengeance of our God.” When reading from the scroll of Isaiah Jesus stopped before the comma, Luke 4:19. “The day of vengeance of our God” the Second Coming of Jesus.
That said, the intent of the producers of the above trailer was to ridicule Jesus and in turn his believers. However, I wonder if the producers realized that there was a germ of truth in their spoof. As in the trailer, Jesus will return to exact vengeance with a two-edge sword. However, the two-edged sword will be the word of God and not a physical sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment