Monday, April 23, 2018

John 8 and Psalm 69 provide insight into Jesus’ childhood and the reputation that followed Him 529-2 - 15 - 4

John 8:18-19, “I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me. 19 Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also. “
John 8:41-42, “41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. 42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.”
The temple leadership accused Jesus of being born through fornication, an accusation that followed Him from childhood through His ministry.  
Psalm 69 is a Psalm that deals not only with David; it deals with the crucifixion and provides insight into the childhood of Jesus, considered illegitimate by many.
Psalm 69:4-5, “4 They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away. 5 O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.”  It’s difficult to understand the hatred directed at Jesus by the very people He came to offer eternal life. Jesus was the sinless lamb of God who took on the sins of the world. As is was 2000 years ago, so it is today.
As a child Jesus was subject of speculation. Psalm 69:12, “They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards.”  The men who sat at the gate of the city would be like today’s city council members. They would speculate as to who was the father of Jesus and the town drunks would make up vulgar songs.
Prior to the resurrection Jesus siblings likely rejected and ridiculed Him as possible mentally defective. Psalm 69:8, “I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children.” Psalm 69:10, “When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.”
Again, Psalm 69 is prophetic of the crucifixion including Jesus being given vinegar to drink. Psalm 69:21, “They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.” John 19:28-30, “28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.”
Psalm 69 also suggests the second coming of Jesus as the avenging Lion of Judah and of His reign during the Millennium. Psalm 69:34-36, “34 Let the heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and every thing that moveth therein. 35 For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in possession. 36 The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell therein.”

No comments:

Post a Comment