Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Can 2 Chronicles 7:14 be applied to us today? If so, How? 512 -9 -2

2 Chronicles 7:14, “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
 
Today while sorting through papers that years ago should have either been filed away or acted upon I came crossed a very relevant booklet. The booklet is titled "If My People... A 40-Day Prayer Guide for our Nation" by Jack Countrymen. The copyright date was 2008 and I'm ashamed to say I had done nothing with it in the ensuing years.

I am currently rectifying that shortcoming and the verse for Day One is 2 Chronicles 7:14.
As for the question "Can 2 Chronicles 7:14 be applied to us today?" in my opinion, most definitely it can be. As for the question of how; through prayer for our nation and and those in authority.

My tendency is to dwell on what I call the trifecta of sins in the United States that displease God. These are the national acceptance of homosexuality and same-sex marriage, the acceptance of the death of the millions of babies sacrificed on the altar of women's choice and the accelerating rate at which we are backing away from Israel.

While I try to look on the positive side and pray for our nation, I still have that uncomfortable feeling that we may have passed the tipping point with God and can expect his wrath to fall on us any time. Given the state of our economy and our being marginalized by the rest of the world, it would seem that God is dropping his hedge of protection from United States of America. That said, I still hold the hope that a natural national revival and return to the Christian roots of those who crossed the Atlantic Ocean looking for religious freedom would stay the hand of of a wrathful God.

As for me, for the next 40 days I will adhere to "If My People... A 40-Day Prayer Guide for our Nation." I will continue to pray both for our nation and for revival. Also I pray that it is not too late for God to forgive us and He “will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

No comments:

Post a Comment