Friday, December 27, 2013

List three “bridges” essential for revival.512 - 11 - 5

With thanks to J. Vernon McGee, “3 Bridges” needed for revival:

· Knowledge of the Word of God

· Scriptural Separation

· Faith in God

According to Mr. McGee, knowledge of the Word of God involves a real love and knowledge of the Word of God. Sadly I have concluded that today there is waning interest in love and seeking knowledge of the Word. I have referred people to “Learn the Bible in 24 Hours”, “How we got the Bible” and other commentaries by CM. I usually get is a blank stare and/ or the comment that the Bible was written by so many different man with their own views, etc. When I try to share Biblical truth especially with family members I can see an immediate veil descending. It’s like don’t confuse me with the facts, I just don’t care. And of course there’s always the heresy of “All roads lead to God.”

In preparing my answer to this discussion question I harken back to an earlier KI course, “The spiritual disciplines” featuring Joe Focht. There is so much to be gleaned from this work that I find myself returning to it again and again.
Our sure knowledge of the inerrancy of the word is confirmed by the master in Matthew 5:18, “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.”

As for Scriptural Separation I agree with Mr. McGee that if I/ we want revival, the place to begin is with me/ us. The suggestion that I/ we get in a room by myself/ ourselves and draw a circle right around me/ us, and say, “ Lord, begin a revival, and let it start inside this circle. ”This suggestion reminds me of the “Peace Song” that starts out with “Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.”

Faith in God is something from within and not imposed from without by religious venues. This week’s lesson makes a reference to Habakkuk; “The Just shall Live by Faith.” With the number of Catholics in the family sometimes I feel like a voice crying in the wilderness that we are justified by the blood of Jesus. When Jesus was hanging from the cross and said “It is finished” it was indeed finished. I have the same problem with Mormon friends who, like the Catholics, are a works oriented religion. There is nothing that we can do to achieve justification on our own. We need the free gift of grace from Jesus. After justification we should try to emulate the behavior of Jesus as we work towards our sanctification. Some wonderful day in the future Jesus will come for his bride and then we will achieve glorification.

No comments:

Post a Comment