Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Psalm 69, insight into the childhood of Jesus and more 515-2 - 14 - 1

Psalm 69 not only deals with the crucifixion, it provides insight into the childhood of Jesus. Jesus was considered illegitimate by many and possible mentally defective by his siblings. I can nearly feel his emotional pain of rejection as He cries out in verses 8 and 10.
Psalm 69:4, “They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are mighty: then I restored that which I took not away.” 
How very difficult to understand the hatred directed at Jesus by the very people He came to offer eternal life. Jesus was without sin but as our propitiation, He justified us before God.
Psalm 69:5, “O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.” 
Jesus was sinless but as the lamb of God He took on the sins of the world.
Psalm 69:6, “Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God of Israel.”
Jesus prayed that His death would not be an obstacle to His believers. Except for John, all disciples deserted Him while on the cross, nevertheless, after the resurrection the disciples boldly proclaimed the Good News.
Psalm 69:8, “I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my mother's children.” Psalm 69:10, “When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my reproach.”
Jesus siblings likely rejected and ridiculed Him. And then the resurrection, must have been a big oops as James and Jude wrote two books of the Bible.
Psalm 69:9, “For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.” Prophetic of John 2:17, “And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.”
“When His disciples saw what was happening, they were reminded of Psalm 69:9 where it was predicted that when the Messiah came, He would be utterly consumed with a zeal for the things of God. Now they saw Jesus manifesting an intense determination that the worship of God should be pure, and they realized that this was the One of whom the Psalmist had spoken.”
[Believer’s Bible Commentary]
Psalm 69:12, “They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of the drunkards.”
 The men who sat at the gate of the city would be like today’s city council members. They would speculate as to who was the father of Jesus and the town drunks would make up vulgar songs.
Psalm 69:21, “They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.” John 19:28-30, “28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. 29 Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment