Monday, December 4, 2017

Psalm 51 and 62, Jesus the Rock! 515-2 - 13 - 1

King David likely wrote these Psalms during Absalom’s rebellion. Absalom and his rebels seemed to consider King David to be a tottering fence to be cast down. Just as King David placed his reliance on the rock we/ I can in these days as we “wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.” Ephesians 6:12.
Psalm 61:2-4, “2 From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I. 3 For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. 4 I will abide in thy tabernacle forever: I will trust in the covert of thy wings. Selah.” 
Psalm 62:5-7, “5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.”
Rock is referenced 26 times in the Book of Psalms and in 17 chapters many with messianic overtones. Just two examples, Psalm 18:2, “The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.” and Psalm 18:31, “For who is God save the Lord? or who is a rock save our God?”
Also in Isaiah 32:1-2, “1 Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in judgment. 2 And a man shall be as an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; as rivers of water in a dry place, as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.”
The Man, Jesus who will provide shelter and refreshing Living water.
Exodus 17:6, “Behold, I will stand before thee there upon the rock in Horeb; and thou shalt smite the rock, and there shall come water out of it, that the people may drink. And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel.” Jesus, our living water. Later Moses was to speak to another rock, instead he struck it twice. Strong’s H5553 includes rock as a fortress or a stronghold. Here this rock is a type of Jesus, our fortress, our stronghold, and the provider of Living Water. Striking the rock, a harbinger of the crucifixion of Jesus?
To me the message of Psalms 61 and 62 is the foretelling of our Messiah, Jesus, the only true refuge in which I can trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment