Saturday, April 21, 2012

DQ#8 The Need for a Selah Moment

At the risk of repeating myself, after starting BIB501-1 in December of 2011 my mother became very ill so off to live with her for as long as she is able to remain in her home. This was not the first time I've had to care for her; however, this time it is for the foreseeable future. My life was going so well, I love my Arizona and Michigan church families and was very involved in Bible studies. So off to California, the land of Atheists, Agnostics, New Agers and Catholic friends and family. Being a student in KI was a life-line to me as I went through several weeks of depression. Guilt is a difficult companion tearing me between love of and duty to family and missing my peaceful life filled with “Selah Moments."

To me "Walking with God” requires daily, hourly “Selah Moments.” Due to the demands of helping to care for my mother I seem too often be falling behind. There are few really physical demands as mom has a care-giver twice a week; however, it’s the nearly constant interruptions of phone calls, doctor/lab appointments, and meal preparation. A few nights ago I picked up the Bible and turned to John for a "Selah Moment." I was so tired I only got part way through Chapter three. The next day was another day of trying to study with poor results. Just when I was thinking I’d have the time after dinner to myself, my brother called to say he and his wife and two young grandchildren would be over to visit us. We are making plans for my mother’s 100th birthday party and selfish as it may sound, I am in great need of time to myself.

Much as I love my family I can sure understand Jesus’ comment in Mark 35:32-35, “And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.”

So it is time to reflect on Micah 6:8, “He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?” I count it as a great blessing that years ago I bought several Cd's by The Maranatha Singers. I copied these to my computers and NowBible MP3 player. When I am questioning “Why Me God,” I put on a headphone and listen to these Praise and Worship Songs including Micah 6:8. Another much needed Selah Moment and resting in the knowledge that God has planted me where He wants me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment