Monday, June 16, 2014

Chastening as in Hebrews 12:5-11 542 - 13 - 1

Chastening: with thanks to The Free Dictionary, 
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chastening:
1. To correct by punishment or reproof; take to task.
2. To restrain; subdue: chasten a proud spirit.
3. To rid of excess; refine or purify: chasten a careless writing style.
Acts 4:32, “And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.” In Acts chapter 5 we read that after selling a piece of property Ananias and Sapphira suffered the ultimate chastening as they “fell down dead.” They were not required to give all the proceeds from the sale to the common purse, however, they lied and said that they did. So God “took” them.
Hebrews 12:6, “For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son (G5207) whom he receiveth.” Here son (uihos) is “Apparently a primary word; a “son” (sometimes of animals), used very widely of immediate, remote or figurative kinship: - child, foal, son.”
2 Samuel 7:14, "I will be his father, and he shall be my son (H1121). If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:" Here son (bên) is “From H1129; a son (as a builder of the family name), in the widest sense (of literal and figurative relationship, including grandson, subject, nation, quality or condition, etc.,”
After searching through the Bible for words such as chastisement I found a number of applicable verses. My take away from all this is that if you were originally justified by grace and go on and lead a very sinful life you will incur chastisement. In the extreme, God would take you to keep you from greater sin. You would not lose your “sonship,” rather you would lose rewards and inheritance.
As a very young child I answered an altar call and had a very early and innocent love of Jesus and had accepted him as my Savior.
It was after graduation from college that I started drifting away from church attendance. To say that I lead a sin filled life would be an understatement. Later as I looked for a renewed relationship with God, I drifted into the fringes of the New Age movement and from there to New Thought. While those in the New Age and/or New Thought are often very spiritual it's pretty much a case of anything goes and all roads lead to God and don't you know that you are god yourself.
When I look back on the years of drifting I have to wonder if I was truly justified. Would God not have greatly chastised me or in the extreme case taken me if I were justified? Actually, I think that Jesus knew I belonged to him and kept a firm grip on me through my years of less than exemplary behavior; I knew his voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment