Wednesday, November 12, 2014

God commands us to love Him with all our heart, will and soul. 503s - 5 - 2

Jesus was asked "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?"

Jesus answered; Matthew 22:37, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart (G2588), and with all thy soul (G5590), and with all thy mind (G1271)."

With thanks to Strong:

G2588 - Prolonged from a primary κάρ kar (Latin cor, “heart”); the heart, that is, (figuratively) the thoughts or feelings (mind); also (by analogy) the middle: - (+ broken-) heart (-ed).

G5590 - From G5594; breath, that is, (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from G4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the correspond respectively to the Hebrew [H5315], [H7307] and [H2416]: - heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

G1271 - From G1223 and G3563; deep thought, properly the faculty (mind or its disposition), by implication its exercise: - imagination, mind, understanding.

Last week we discussed “Are you aware of any negative thoughts and emotions, which are preventing you from experiencing God’s Love? Why is it critical to give these over to God? How does knowing that God Loves you, help you to lay these aside?”

I added to the discussion with the following:

Once again my family is in crisis over my mother who is 102 years old and lives in Southern California. A major problem facing this nation is an aging population whose children are also aging. There has been family pressure for me to once again stay with my mother because I am "the daughter." The last time my temporary stay with mom turned into 18 months. As her health improved mine deteriorated. 

While I can understand that my mother does not want to stay in a nursing home I’m convinced the time is rapidly approaching. The question of mom's care is driving a wedge between me and my family. This time I am leaving the immediate decisions for her care to my brother. The long term solution I leave in the hands of God.

IMO, Southern California is, well, not a place I'm conformable in. Add to that, my family doesn't really share my beliefs and my brother told me I was intolerant. Of course I told him it wasn't me saying that Jesus is the only way, rather it is the Word of God. 

I love God with all my heart, will and soul and do my best to really internalize that he is in control. However, family dynamics over the last several years have given me a real appreciation for Matthew 12:46-50. 

No comments:

Post a Comment