Friday, March 18, 2016

My Christian Walk, in the world but not of the world.

Paul tells us in ll Timothy 2:15 “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” I try to be a positive and productive ambassador for God while not immersing myself too deeply in the World. 2 Corinthians 6:17, “Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.” I am very concerned that I not be a stumbling block to others by appearing to be just another Christian hypocrite.
There are many relevant Bible verses dealing with our walk with Jesus. However, It is very difficult to avoid the influence of the world as we in the United States are involved in a very critical and mudslinging election year. It can be challenging to follow Paul’s admonition, 1 Thessalonians 2:12, “That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto His Kingdom and glory.”
I have three primary means by which I attempt to advance the gospel. First is to try to be an example to others; to recall the initials WWJD, What Would Jesus Do? Next, I witnessed to people directly and via the Internet, most notably Facebook and my blog. And finally, I financially support Christian organizations such as Voice of the martyrs.
A favorite witnessing tool is to talk to people about the simple message of the Good News: “For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:” 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.
As a believer I’m in this world but not of it. Several years ago a similar discussion question made me think of the older western themed movies. At that time I posted something like “In these movies a lone cowboy would drift into town, get rid of the bad guys, win the heart of a local young woman and then would say “ma’am, I’m just passing through. Then the cowboy would saddle his horse and shake the dust of civilization from his well-worn boots and head for some random destination; an unknown destination but one that called very strongly to him.”
I identify with that cowboy. I’m just passing through and not really at home here on planet earth. Like him I feel drawn to continue my Christian journey while having both an eagerness and a sense of anticipation for the return of Jesus for His Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment