Friday, March 18, 2016

My protection against heresy 537 - 1 - 2

One Discussion Question really resonated with me when taking Spiritual Disciplines SD501, “Why is it important to ‘make deposits’? What biblical passages have served you well over the past few months?” Since that time I have maintained a file on my computer desktop of often quoted verses including the words Sola Scriptura. These deposits of verses are a great help to me and I often draw against this account.
CM teaches on the Whole Council of God, citing Acts 20: 27, “For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God.”
Most assuredly, Paul taught from the whole counsel of God. Acts 24:14, “But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets.”
Paul’s advice to Timothy is very relevant today. 2 Timothy 2:15, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
The word is my protection against heresy. Paul again tutors in 2 Timothy 3:16, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”
In Ephesians 6:11-13 Paul tells us to put on the whole armor of God so we “may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.” Paul reminds that “we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
Ephesians 16-17, “Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”
Again in 2 Corinthians 10:4, “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds” And in Romans 13:12, “The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.”
I often remind myself that I'm in this world but not of this world, I’m just passing through on the way to my eternal home. Another verse that I tried to internalize, Romans 12:2, “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”
Keeping my mind stayed on God, studying His Word and praying for discernment protects me from the growing heresy of this fallen world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment