Friday, March 16, 2018

Dr. Stephen Hawking, an eternity loss through works alone? 543 - 3 - 8

I think I was in the eighth grade when I discovered Albert Einstein. Among his very insightful quotes are:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
A few years later in high school I read a book with the title “123 relativity.” I have searched for the book and cannot find any mention of it on the Internet. After 50 plus years, I may have the title wrong. What I do remember is that the special theory of relativity was rather straight forward, the general theory of relativity was more difficult to comprehend, and time is the fourth dimension.
In a least one of his teachings CM compared the four dimensions to Ephesians 3:18. In context, Ephesians 3:17-19, “17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.”
I believe the expression “To know the mind of God” was coined by Sir Isaac Newton but another fruitless Internet search didn't confirm this. That said, did Einstein get a glimmer of the mind of God?
At the time of his death Einstein was still working on his The Unified Field Theory in which he was attempting to prove that electromagnetism and gravity were different manifestations of a single fundamental field.
With the optimism of a youth I thought someday I would finish his work and solve the unified field theory. Later I found that college level math and physics were far more complicated than in high school. Any thoughts of finishing Einstein's work evaporated in the reality of my limited intellect, limited intellect but still appreciative of great minds.
Now more than half a century later, the passing of another great mind, Stephen Hawking. Decades ago the unified field theory had been replaced by M-theory’. A theory Stephen Hawking hoped would fully explain the universe. I read that to understand the basic idea of M-theory, rather than describing the universe based on point like particles, it could be describe it in terms of tiny oscillating strings (tubes of energy). I’m way out of my league.
Stephen Hawking had a long history in theoretical physics pushing the envelope of knowledge as well as teaching and inspiriting generations of physicists. Although very severely handicapped, Dr. Hopkins never let this impede his work. Work, sadly that says it all.
Stephen Hawking says universe not created by God
"In the new work, The Grand Design, Professor Stephen Hawking argues that the Big Bang, rather than occurring following the intervention of a divine being, was inevitable due to the law of gravity.
In his 1988 book, A Brief History of Time, Hawking had seemed to accept the role of God in the creation of the universe. But in the new text, co-written with American physicist Leonard Mlodinow, he said new theories showed a creator is "not necessary"."
[https://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/sep/02/stephen-hawking-big-bang-creator]
I was grieved by Stephen Hawking's atheism not only for him but because I had hope to someday meet both him and Albert Einstein, two brilliant men that I greatly admire. My prayer is that before his last breath, Stephen Hawking cried out to Jesus. Where Stephen Hawking spends eternity is up to God and I pray that he is merciful, and that Stephen Hawkins inherited the glorious body that was his only for the acknowledgement of the creator of the universe, the universe that he so admired. Ephesians 3:19, “And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment