Friday, October 4, 2019

Eye surgeries are behind me and I'm gearing up to start posting.

Eye surgeries are behind me and I'm gearing up to start posting. The whole eye saga started June of last year after cataract surgery. Through it all God was/ is great.

July 10, 2018 · 
The Saga of my eye problems continues. The five milliliter bottle of eye drops I picked up last week would have cost $41 without insurance and $24.00 with insurance. I gladly paid the $24.00 because it's impossible to put a price on your eyes. Today I had a chance to go back to Walmart in Show Low so I ordered in the one refilled Allowed by the doctor. Keep in mind that the round trip from Antelope Valley to Show Low is at least a hundred and fifty miles. I had received a computer generated message saying my script was ready but when I went in today it was not ready. There was a question of insurance. AARP will not contribute to the $41 until the 16th of the month. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out better to pay the full amount then try to get back to Show Low on the 16th. So of course I paid the full $41 and I'm not a happy camper with AARP. That said, eyesight, priceless.

Sally J. Cooper
October 16, 2018 · 
The continuing Saga of my left eye after cataract surgery four months ago. My complications are caused by a hereditary disease, Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy.
I wonder how much of my mother's nearly zero vision was caused by the same disease as she was using the same eye drops that I do to try to dry out the cornea. I remember mother often telling me that it was like trying to see through a sheer curtain. 
In addition to many people praying for me, I'm getting excellent care at Dulaney Eye Clinic. My latest eye check-up was yesterday and the vision in my left eye was improved but likely due to the fact that I was on steroid eye drops for the last 3 weeks. The doctor thinks my vision is good as it'll get without surgery. Fortunately I can still drive, read and use the computer, however, I want clear vision. So I'll most likely a partial cornea transplant in the near future.

The following is from the internet.

Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy.
"The endothelium keeps the cornea clear for good vision by pumping out excess fluid that could cause corneal swelling. Also called Fuchs' corneal dystrophy and Fuchs' endothelial dystrophy, the disease usually affects both eyes and causes a gradual decline in vision due to corneal edema (swelling) and clouding."

As this hereditary, family please followup with your eye doctors. Jan Stevenson, Robert Stevenson, Bruce Scot Wyman and all the Wymans, Donny Simpson and any one I missed.



Sally J. Cooper
March 6 · 
The continuing Saga of my left eye. Yesterday my doctor evaluated my eye one week post-op. Most of the graft between the donor cornea and the remainder of my cornea had adhered but there was still a small area that hadn't. This isn't all that unusual and necessitated another air bubble being injected into my eye. So now I'm back to laying on my back most of the day and of course continuing my eye drop regiment. I have another appointment in 2 weeks to see the eye doctor so in the meanwhile I'll be at my friend's home in Phoenix. Bob has been a godsend for me and I will forever be grateful to him for his care and caring for me.
Again thanks to everyone for your prayers. Even with all the recovery time required, I count myself blessed when I compare today's advances compared to when my mother was losing her eyesight. Once I'm back on the computer I will research Fuch's as I'm concerned for family members as Fuch's is a hereditary condition.

Sally J. Cooper
March 19 at 12:43 PM · 
The continuing saga of my left eye.
Two weeks ago the donor tissue had not totally fused with my remaining cornea tissue so the eye was aired up again as an assist to hold the tissues together. Yesterday there was complete adherence of both tissues which is very good news. Actually, when I remove my glasses I can see better with the left eye then with the right eye. It is three weeks since the partial partial cornea transplant and I'm delighted with the results. The fuzziness in my vision is gone. Next month the stitches will be removed. Except for using special eyedrops for the foreseeable future and routine checkups, my left eye is a ok. Corrective glasses will always be required but not a problem.

I originally planned to wait about a year before cataract surgery on my right eye but we've moved it up to this fall. There are some kind of cells in the eye that would predict whether or not we could expect the same outcome with my right eye after cataract surgery. The cells are virtually non-existent in my right eye with possibly one little cell holding out. Fuch's dystrophy combined with cataract surgery on my right eye is expected to necessitate another partial cornea transplant after removal of the Cataract. So this fall I will have one surgery wherein both the Cataract is removed and a partial cornea transplant will be performed.

My friend Bob has been a godsend and has already committed to taking care of me after my surgery this fall. I am so blessed to have such a good friend and also to have been lead to great Medical Care. Apparently this surgery was not readily available until several years ago.

Thanks again for all the prayers that have been said for me. God answered prayers in many ways, some with immediate and complete healing. In my case it was a more involved answer providing great medical innovation and care while recovering.


Sally J. Cooper
April 4 at 4:15 PM · 
In the continuing ( concluding) Saga of my left eye, the stitches come out on the 19th of this month. 
I'm now scheduled for cataract surgery and a partial cornea transplant on my right eye the 21st of May. 
On the 10th of May I have my pre-op physical check-up and signing of all necessary paperwork. I'll be driving to Goodyear and back in the same day and then start seriously packing for my summer in northeastern Arizona. 
I'll leave for Bob's a day or two before my surgery is scheduled and he will take care of me again getting me to and from surgery and my follow-up appointments and generally taking care of me. What a terrific person and did I add, a super cook.
God certainly does put the right people in my life at the right time. God is good all the time, all the time God is good. And again, prayers are very much appreciated.

Fast forward to September, 2019, a good report from my eye doctor. Thank the Lord for directing me to a great surgeon  and for medical technocal advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment