Friday, October 23, 2015

An attitude of contentment in all circumstances? Easier Said than Done. 538 - 6 - 8

I attended a conservative Protestant church from the time I was a toddler until I graduated from High School. As an undergraduate I joined the more liberal Episcopal Church through marriage.
As a child the only real exposure to the Bible I received was through my best friend who was the daughter of the local Baptist pastor. The church that I intended throughout school did not encourage us to bring a Bible to church. The minister would announce the passage he was going to talk about. Hundreds of times the minister would dismiss us with Philippians 4:7, And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” This passage has stayed with me my entire life regardless of any situation.
When attending the Episcopal Church we carried a book I think called the liturgy. In much the same way as in the Catholic Church, the minister/priest would read very scripted words and the congregation would reply. No real Bible learning here, however, it was a time of great contentment as my children went to Sunday school and I would take Holy Communion. Before and after I took communion I would enjoy the solitude of the music being played very softly in the background for about 20 minutes. These 20 minutes each week were so very special and sacred to me and seemed to pull me closer to God.
After college, life got in the way and church was no longer a priority. No real contentment as I raised my kids and aggressively pursued a career. As a result of having children when very young I was an empty nester at a fairly young age.
I always enjoyed my career but never had any real contentment. I dabbled in the New Age and thought that I was “on the Path.” However, life just was not right.
Now retired for number of years I have reduced my living expenses and live on a cash bases. I again started listening to the Praise and Worship music I had so enjoyed years before. I started to hunger for the fellowship found in church. Now firmly back in His presence I have far greater contentment. After decades of work and life in general, I’ve come to the realization contentment is an attitude. If I feel myself getting too involved in events over which I have no control, time to relax with music and the Bible.
However more content I am today, I have not progressed as did Paul. Philippians 4:11, “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”

No comments:

Post a Comment