Tuesday, December 20, 2011

approaching my study of God’s word - from Khouse class

DQ #2 is With what should you approach your study of God’s word? What are some of your favorite Bible study materials? Besides Dr. Missler, what other Bible teachers have impacted your life?
With prayer and passion! Prayers of thanksgiving for the Word and the gift of Grace. Passion for the Word of God. Passion to share the Word. Passion to immerse myself in the Word. I have several electronic tools that are very helpful not only in my walk but also in backing up the truth of the Bible when discussing it with skeptics:
1. The Franklin Electronic Bible BIB-475 which includes the complete text of: the King James Version and the New International Version. Plus it includes many helpful features such as bookmarking, find, the Holman Bible Dictionary and more. I use this in church and Bible study classes as it has a very fast look-up feature as we go from verse to verse.
2. Several Bibles on my Kindle Book including “English Translation of the Greek Septuagint”, compiled nearing three hundred years before the birth of Jesus.
3. The NowBible with the ESV Bible (can read and listen to at the same time) and so many features, even has a MP3 player so I always have the Bible, Praise and Worship music and Dr. Missler’s teachings as well as those of others close at hand.
4. Smart phone again with a MP3 player and the Nextbook, a poor man’s version of the I Pad that I listen to at night when I should be sleeping.
5. And of course, my computer complete with so many resources.
If I’m alone and having a quick meal at a fast food store, I listen to a teaching, usually by Dr. Missler. I discovered Dr. Missler’s book “Learn the Bible n 24 Hours” several years ago and then this pass summer, the firefighters website with many teachings by Dr. Missler and other teachers. I’ve read several of Hal Lindsey’s books and watch his report every week. I was in Palm Desert, CA for some time in 2007 and was able several times to attend his weekly Bible study. However, Mr. Lindsey no longer lives in California.
Summers I spend in Michigan in an area described as “The Bible Belt of Michigan” in a member owner park. Each summer we study one of Ray Vanderlaan’s Faith Lessons DVD series, talk about approaching the Word with passion, he is the personification. We have Gospel music Sunday evenings and each summer usually have two or three artists who are regulars with the Gaithers. This summer Guy Penrod was there and what a light he is and he sings with great passion. I think hearing Linda Randle in 2006 pushed me back on the path I started out on as a child and strayed from after college and being so busy. I’m listening to Linda singing as I write.
Here in Arizona we have Bible study at church and two friends lead a Bible study in a tent in the desert. What I most prefer is a small Bible study gathered around a table where there is give and take.
The availability of good teachers and resources along with a thirst for God and a love of Jesus have greatly impacted my life. I often tell of playing around the edges of the “New Age” but never being able to take it seriously. And of course, as I was already one of Jesus’ sheep, He would not let me go and I thank Him for forgiving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment