Monday, December 26, 2011

My Favorite Book of the Bible and Bible Story

  DQ #1. Share how you approach the study of God’s Word and something about your devotional life. What’s your favorite book of the Bible and Bible story?
  As I posted in DQ #2 " With prayer and passion! Prayers of thanksgiving for the Word and the gift of Grace. Passion for the Word of God. Passion to share the Word. Passion to immerse myself in the Word. I have several electronic tools that are very helpful not only in my walk but also in backing up the truth of the Bible when discussing it with skeptics which seems to be a mission with me.

  As to my favorite Book of the Bible, so many with Genesis likely being number one. But then there are the Books of prophecy and then the Books in the New Testament telling of their fulfillment. The Gospels are wonderful in detailing the walk of Jesus. The Pauline letters are great, 2 Timothy 4 is so moving: 6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing. So many, so very many...

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

My favorite story is Ruth. There is Ruth’s devotion to Naomi:
16 But Ruth said
“ Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God
.

  There is the love story between Ruth and Boaz. However, there is so much more. The story of Naomi and her family going to Moab is well known as is the loss of her husband and sons. So Naomi and her gentile daughter-in-law Ruth returned to Bethlehem. Eventually Ruth and Boaz are married.

So much in this short book:

o Names of all have special meaning
o Law of Gleaning
o the Unnamed Servant as a manifestation of the Holy Spirit
o 6 measures of barley
o Levirite Marriage
o Kinsman-Redeemer – Boaz was second in line but prevailed

Boaz is the Kinsman-Redeemer as Jesus is our redeemer.
Naomi represents Israel
Ruth is the Gentile Bride

  As a Kinsman-Redeemer Boaz had to be a kinsman, able to perform, must be willing and must assume all the obligations.

  Boaz and Ruth were in the line of Jesus. Boaz was the son of Salmon and Rahab who was said to be a prostitute. Boaz and Ruth had a son they named Obed who had a son named Jesse and in turn Jesse had a son named David, later known as King David. So a prostitute and a Gentile in the line of Jesus, what a redemption!

  The Book of Ruth is prophetic of Jesus as the Kinsman-Redeemer and the Church as the Gentile Bride. As Boaz redeemed Ruth as his bride and Naomi her land, Jesus has redeemed the Church and He will redeem Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment