Saturday, February 22, 2014

Are you vocal in prayer? Do you think it is important? Why? 532-2 - 16 - 6

Having been raised in a conservative Protestant church my prayers were generally not spoken out loud with the exception of praying the Lord’s Prayer, along with the minister and the rest the congregation.
I have had several injuries to my neck and before I retired I would react to an especially stressful day with what I called my “God headaches.” I would lay in bed in excruciating pain and tell God in no uncertain terms to either take the pain away or to take me because I really didn’t much care either way. As I recall, it wouldn’t be long before these headaches would dissipate.
Several years ago I tripped over my sandals and fell backwards catching myself with my right hand. The pain again was excruciating and I thought that I possibly broke my right wrist. Since my left hand has been adversely affected by polio, the thought of losing the use of my right hand for several weeks was rather terrifying. I was barely able to get undressed for bed that night and as I laid in bed I cried out to Jesus, “You promised that by your stripes we are healed.” The next morning my wrist still hurt, but it was functional and I prayed my thanks to God.
A few months ago I pulled something in my shoulder and again the pain was excruciating. My first thought was that I had torn my rotor cuff and could surgery be required. Again, I went to bed and cried out to Jesus, “You promised that by your stripes we are healed.” As before, by morning my shoulder felt much better and I again gave thanks.
My church attending life has gone from a conservative Protestant church to an Episcopalian church to a New Thought church to a Baptist church and now to a Pentecostal church. I started to attend the Assembly of God church because most of my friends were going there and the pastor was often on fire. It was rather disconcerting to me when I first heard my friends speaking/praying in tongues. I’m coming to understand that speaking in tongues is a manifestation of being filled with the Holy Spirit. Rather than speaking in tongues, I sing in tongues occasionally in the shower or while driving. It is my understanding that when praying in tongues we rather get out of our own way in our communication with God.
Paul had quite a bit to say about speaking in tongues in 1 Corinthians. On the day Pentecostal, Acts 2:3-4, "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."
As for being vocal in my prayers, it certainly helped when I was desperate and cried out to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment