Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why did the arresters fall to the ground? Why did Jesus heal Malchus? 532-2 - 17 - 8

John 18:4-8, "Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye? They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way"
Twice Jesus said, I am he and I would suggest that the word he should be spelled with a capital H in recognition of his deity. Exodus 3:14, "And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you." John 8:58, “Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.”
As the very incarnation of the Godhead I would suspect that it would be difficult for hostile hands to touch Jesus unless Jesus were to allow it. Perhaps Jesus caused the guards/arresters to fall down to the ground to get their attention and compliance. Jesus was in control and made certain that his disciples were not arrested. John 18:9, “That the saying might be fulfilled, which he spake, Of them which thou gavest me have I lost none.”
John 18:10, "Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest's servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant's name was Malchus." No mention of Jesus healing Malchus in John 18, however, Luke 22:49-51, "When they which were about him saw what would follow, they said unto him, Lord, shall we smite with the sword? And one of them smote the servant of the high priest, and cut off his right ear. And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him." Matthew 26:51 and Mark 14:47 both refer to the injured ear but not to the healing. Only in the book of John is Malchus referred to by name.
Jesus came as the suffering servant who gave his life to reconcile a fallen world to his Father. Jesus was and is love and compassion and the healing of Malchas would logically follow.
That said, perhaps the falling to the ground of the arresters is more suggestive of Jesus at his second coming. At that time Jesus will come as the conquering Messiah with the two edge sword of the Word. I would suspect that all it took to knock the guards over was just a tiny minuscule of the force that Jesus has. Imagine the awesomeness and power of Jesus at his second coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment