Friday, December 5, 2014

About those three friends of Job, clouds without rain... 514 - 3 - 5

Job had three friends who, in my opinion, personified Proverbs 25:14, “Whoso boasteth himself of a false gift is like clouds and wind without rain.”
First was Eliphaz referred to as the Eloquent. Eliphaz, as many often do, observed Job’s trails through the lens of his (Eliphaz’s) reality. As Eliphaz bloviated that Job’s suffering was due to his (Job’s) sins was Eliphaz providing us with an insight into own his sins?
Next was Bildad who apparently was less then diplomatic as he was referred to as the Brutal. Bildad called Job a hypocrite based on his (Bildad’s) rigid adherence to tradition.
Last was Zophar the Zealous who appears to be driven by orthodox dogma referred to Job as a wicked man. Eliphaz brings to mind a bumper sticker, “My dogma was just run over by my karma.”
As an aside, Zophar the Zealous brings to mind those who adhere to the dogmatic religion of Islam. Bildad the Brutal could be likened to the Roman Catholic Church with its strict adherence to the traditions of men rather than the Word of God. Perhaps Eliphaz the Eloquent could be an equivalency to the apostate church.
In my opinion, what Job needed was compassion and not criticism or speculation of shortcomings. When his friends sat with him in silence it would seem they were more supportive of him. An example of the comfort of silence would be a family friend, Mary, now long gone. Mary had the gift of having a very comforting presence in a room. Mary had a little to say but just seemed to leak warmth.
Over the last several years I have spent extended periods of time living in my mother’s home and helping to care for her while my own health declined. My often critical family members occasionally gave me an “Atta girl” but didn't walk the talk by helping with my mother; praise, empty platitudes. Interestingly enough it was two family friends who did walk the talk as well as treating me with the compassion I so needed at that time.
Bildad brings to mind family tradition as it seems to hold that the burden of care falls on the daughter and the son, in this case my older brother, got/ gets a free pass. Family, clouds without rain, go figure.
After critiquing my family I would like to add that there is an exception, my cousin Jaqy.  She truly walks the talk as for about a year she has taken over most of the care-giving for my 102 year old mom. Last fall except for visits with my mom I was finally able to return to my very neglected home and much missed church family.

No comments:

Post a Comment