Saturday, December 27, 2014

The silence of God 514 - 5 - 4

The silence of God reminded me of Paul Simon's song, "Sounds Of Silence Lyrics" that he so often performed with his partner Garfunkel.
First a little background. After 102 Years my mother's life is ebbing away. I'm past praying for her recovery and only for her release from her failing body. With family and friends visiting plus the required and rather intensive care giving, it is difficult for me to find the silence to hear God. So I can only imagine what it's like for my mom. I've read of the dying waiting until family and friends leave before they finally allow their soul to leave the body. Perhaps they (the dying) are seeking that quiet time with God as they pass over.
Last night when I was alone with mom I played a few of her favorites, Lynda Randle’s gospel CDs. Mom’s hearing is nearly gone but I think (hope) she heard Lynda’s inspiring singing such as "God on the Mountain" and many more.
Again from From Simon's "Sounds Of Silence Lyrics"
“And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence”
In the many times over the years that I have helped with my mother care-giving I heard many empty platitudes, like clouds without rain. “People talking without speaking” and “People hearing without listening.”
Should mom still be with us tonight it’ll be more Lynda Randle. The effect I will be hoping for Simon expresses so well:
“Hear my words that I might teach you”
Take my arms that I might reach you"
I’m praying that mom will take Jesus’ hand and let Him lift her in His arms.
Added Later:
My mom maintained a very clear mind until about 2 months ago. Always a conservative we had nightly telephone conversations about politics and she stayed very much up on the news. She was hospitalized about 6 weeks ago and it's like the spark that was mom was being extinguished. She became incoherent. 
Family is gone for the night and I am sitting close to mom and listening to gospel music and of course spending time Online. My cousin and hospice do most of the hygiene care with some help from me. Her care is pretty much beyond the ability of one person as she is dead weight. My mom raised 3 kids on her own and we all turned out pretty well. I remember mom always saying when I die I hope people will say isn't it a shame not what a blessing. Unfortunately she didn't get her wish. But she is in the hands of God and it's in his timing. And it's getting to be my bedtime.


No comments:

Post a Comment