Saturday, April 15, 2017

The 3 temptations the devil brought against Jesus, my temptations 531-1 - 4 - 3

Luke 4:3,"And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread." Here the devil was appealing to Jesus' physical well-being.
Luke 4:4, "And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God." The Word is far more fulfilling than bread, it fills that inborn need for God.
In the second temptation, Luke 4:5-7, the devil petitions Jesus with power and glory. This is a valid temptation as the devil holds the deed to our fallen world.
Luke 4:8, “And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." God, not the devil, is to be worshiped.
Luke 4:9-11, here in the third temptation the devil is trying to get Jesus to manipulate God, to put God "to the test" by saving Him (Jesus) from a deadly fall.
Luke 4:12, “And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.”
As an aside, one Discussion Question really resonated with me when taking Spiritual Disciplines SD501, “Why is it important to ‘make deposits’? What biblical passages have served you well over the past few months?” Since that time, I have maintained a file on my computer desktop of often quoted verses including the words Sola Scriptura. These deposits of verses are a great help to me and I often draw against this account.
The seven deadly sins are Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy, and Pride. Three most applicable to me are gluttony, greed (non-material), and pride.
The could devil tempt me with greed for Knowledge, pride in winning arguments and gluttony.
Greed: Years ago, when I would hold a book it would seem to take on a life of its own, nearly vibrating in my hand. Now I carry hundreds of books on my smart phone, computers, tablets, and Kindles. So, greed for knowledge coupled with a greed for electronic gizmos.
Pride: I work to be right and win arguments. I’ve channeled some of that drive to becoming a better Christian Apologist. Now to learn to moderate my discussions that can become rather preachy.
Gluttony: Monday will be half price day for all that wonderful but pagan “Easter” candy. Solid milk chocolate rabbits and creamy eggs. Now my mouth is watering.
These temptations do not begin to compare to those of Jesus by enduring severe beatings and the horrific pain and humiliation of crucifixion for our/ my sins. Jesus didn’t give into temptations
1. Physical, to escape the agony of the cross.
 2. Jesus, equal to God humbled Himself by foregoing both His power and glory.
3. Matthew 27:46, “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” By calling out “My God” Jesus acknowledged that God would not look on Him as He was carrying our sins. Jesus didn’t “Put God to the test.”

No comments:

Post a Comment