Sunday, September 24, 2017

My favorite Psalm 23 passage(s) 515-1 - 5 - 2

Such assurance in this verse, Psalm 23:6, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”
It’s been said that mercy is not getting what you deserve and grace is getting something you didn’t deserve.  We believers are saved by grace, nevertheless, we have to accept that free gift. Likely the majority believe they will spend an eternity with Jesus because they are basically good and have done good works, wrong!
Ephesians 2:8-9, "8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.” We are cautioned in Ephesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." Then “goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life”
As an aside, years ago I wrote about being a friend of God. Being a friend to God is to obey him and be very much in awe of His Majesty. To walk with God; not walking ahead of God and not walking behind God. If I try to walk ahead of God I am basically trying to do it my way. If I walk behind God I lose that connection with him and can stumble. As His friend I should walk with and spend quiet time with Him, “Selah Moments."
In confirmation of our “dwelling in the house of the LORD forever” Jesus added, John 14:2-3, “2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”
The grace and mercy of God is often denigrated due to its seemingly simplicity. There is a proviso, I must truly believe Jesus died for me and give my life to Him   to claim Jesus as my “Good Shepherd.”
“Psalm 23:1 Despite its worldwide popularity, the Psalm is not for everyone. It is applicable only to those who are entitled to say, "The LORD is my Shepherd." It is true that the Good Shepherd died for all, but only those who actually receive Him by a definite act of faith are His sheep. His saving work is sufficient for all, but it is effective only for those who actually believe on Him. Everything therefore hinges on the personal pronoun my. Unless He is my Shepherd, then the rest of the Psalm does not belong to me. On the other hand, if He is really mine and I am really His, then I have everything in Him!”
[Believer’s Bible Commentary]

No comments:

Post a Comment