Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Why are classical scientists shocked at the findings of quantum physics? How do they impact our own perspectives? 502-1 - 3 - 3.

I’m reminded of the story of the 100th monkey. Monkeys on one island were being given sweet potatoes dropped on the sand and then observed for a number of years. One day an enterprising monkey rinsed her sweet potato in the ocean and found that it tasted better. Soon other monkeys on the island followed suit and had clean salty sweet potatoes. After a critical number of the monkeys on that island started rinsing their sweet potatoes in the ocean monkeys on other islands started rinsing their sweet potatoes as well. There was no communication between the monkeys on different island.So monkeys or physical quanta having no locality that seem to know what their kind is doing, six of one or... I remember reading years ago about these tiny discrete units that seemed to be influenced by the act of being observed and I felt like Alice in Wonderland, “Very interesting.”

Niels Bohr said, "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it." Scientists who were so used to order in the universe were discombobulated by this turn of events. Add to that there is a limit to how small something can be and how to measure something that has no locality. Believe me I can remember my college days and working with predicable and measurable material/ reactions. So much tension would cause metal to start to flow and then to break. The solid and measurable stuff the world is made of, how very comforting.
I’ll admit that I don’t understand quantum mechanics and that I am in awe of it. 

Now that I’m older I enjoy getting out of my comfort zone. I downloaded Dr. Missler’s beyond series of teachings. I surprised myself by being able to pretty much understand them but then Dr. Missler is a great teacher.
God is awesome and has created a universe that is so far beyond my understanding; however, someday perhaps I’ll be able to dance across the stars while singing praises to our God.

Follow-up post:

If quantum theory is not enough to make my head spin I came across this article today, “Unusual Quantum Effect Discovered in Earliest Stages of Photosynthesis”
The article deals with two branches of science; Quantum physics and plant biology.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120524092932.htm


I don’t remember much about photosynthetic from Biology class decades ago except that it was necessary for our survival and that of the plants.
One researched stated, “The behavior we were able to see at these very fast time scales implies a much more sophisticated mixing of electronic states."


Very telling was another comment, “Because the moment when the quantum effect occurs is so short-lived -- less than a trillionth of a second -- scientists will have a hard time ascertaining biological and physical rationales for their existence in the first place. "It makes us wonder if they are really just there by accident, or if they are telling us something subtle and unique about these materials," Tiede said. "Whatever the case, we're getting at the fundamentals of the first step of energy conversion in photosynthesis."
Yes Dr. Tiede, not by accident

No comments:

Post a Comment