Sunday, November 4, 2012

In what ways would you consider yourself to be a sojourner? BIB 502-2-21-4

To be a sojourner is to reside temporarily. There are many verses in the Bible that deal with the sojourner. My understanding from the following is that if you reside temporarily in an area you pretty much adhere to the local customs. For example, Numbers 15:16, “One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.” There is a provision for a person to reside in a “City of refuge.” Numbers 35:15, “These six cities shall be a refuge, both for the children of Israel, and for the stranger, and for the sojourner among them: that every one that killeth any person unawares may flee thither.”

That said I consider myself to be a sojourner. I don't think I ever felt like I really fit into this world. I rather suspect that I used adaptive behavior when I was younger in an effort to belong. The Bible says it best, "In this world but not of it." Perhaps this feeling of not really belonging is due in part to a near death from drowning when I was very young. Or perhaps it was having had polio at the age of six which resulted in my being considered different then other six-year-olds. It could have been be my early exposure to the love Jesus has for us in Sunday School. Whatever the reason I've always had a longing for something more, another more perfect place.

Several weeks ago I wrote on another discussion question concerning the tent an emblem. I am again reminded of the western themed movies in which the cowboy would drift into town, get rid of the bad guys, win the heart of a local young woman and then would say “ma’am, I’m just passing through.” Then the cowboy would saddle his horse and shake the dust of civilization from his well-worn boots. He would embark on a journey to some random destination; an unknown destination but one that called very strongly to him. How often have I felt like that cowboy and that I am just passing through and not really at home here on our current planet earth. I have both eagerness and a sense of anticipation for the return of Jesus for His Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment