Sunday, November 4, 2012

What does it mean to be an earthdweller versus a sojourner? Which are you? BIB 502-2-23-5

To me, earth dwellers would be those who follow the desires of the flesh rather than of the spirit. Our country kicked God out of our schools in the 60s we have certainly paid a high price for it. Many in our society here in the United States have embraced abortion on demand and same-sex marriage. We have a society where if it feels good just do it. Within our churches many pastor don't preach sin and the blood of Christ, rather they seem more like motivational speakers.
 
Long gone are the days of "Gone with the Wind" when people were scandalized by Clark Gable saying "Frankly my dear I couldn't give a damn." Fast-forward more than half a century and the movies now are sexually explicit, extremely violent and promote the occult. Our youth seem to be very taken with the Twilight movies series and I understand have even formed their own vampire clubs.

In large measure, we have become an entitlement driven society with diminishing personal responsibility. Our national debt is horrific and will be passed on to future generations. Our economy is in shambles and the unemployment rate is high. As the earth dwellers hold on to what they considered as valuable, there is only one solution for me. I put my trust in God which leads to the second part of this question.

I am most definitely a sojourner. Even as child I felt out of place. As a young adult I had the responsibility of being a divorced mother of two while attending college. In college and later in the working world I was able to ignore this feeling of detachment. Now to cut through that verbiage, I basically was too busy getting on with life to have time for reflection. In my middle-age the feelings of not really belonging in this world really began to come back to me. As a senior I am “In this world but not of it.”

Well, back to the everyday world, hurricane Sandy certainly kicked up her heels yesterday and is to a lesser degree today. Combine that with earthquake activity, especially offshore Canada, people are beginning to question what really is going on. I would expect that many of the earth dwellers will blame it on global warming or global change. I, and likely of many of my fellow sojourners, have a far different theory(s). Some think that we are under God's judgment and others theorize that God is removing his hedge of protection that has been around the United States for so long. More on this in a later post.

“Why do the heathen rage, and the people imagine a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying, “Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us. The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them.” Psalm 2:1-4


Added later:

And here I thought I was rather critical of the earth dwellers and then I read the following article:
 
"Melding Epochs" by Ron Graham
http://www.raptureready.com/featured/graham/g254.html

Ron Graham is a featured writer with the raptureready.com website. Ron quoted a Bible verse that I had considering adding before I exceeded the number of allowable words.

“And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.” Genesis 6:7
Continuing in Genesis, “And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.” Genesis 6:13

In addition to Genesis I consider this relevant today. Rom. 1:26-28, "For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper."

As in the Book of Daniel, it would seem that the "Handwriting is on the wall." Hurricane Sandy has morphed into such a super storm that she is even threatening my home state of Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment